Original altar cross restored at Immanuel, Bay Minette
The original altar cross of Immanuel, Bay Minette, was returned to its proper place on Sunday, May 16, when
the congregation's senior member, Claire Brame Jackson, brought the old cross forward and gently placed it in its central position. For the past 20 years or so, this brass cross, only 18 inches tall, had stood in a windowsill in the church's vestibule. When Immanuel’s chancel was renovated this spring, a new oak retable was installed behind the altar to provide a place for the old cross, under which is a tabernacle for the reserved sacrament.
Immanuel Church dates from 1908, having been formed in the early years of the City of Bay Minette. The first Episcopalians in Bay Minette occasionally met for worship in the Presbyterian Church before they built a simple frame church on the corner of McMillan Avenue and West Seventh Street. That building was destroyed by a tornado in November 1968. The present church was built in 1972. Never a large congregation, Immanuel continues to be a worshiping and serving presence in Bay Minette.